Saturday, November 20, 2010

Seeking intelligent, outdoorsy, beer guzzling (yet respectable) man who isn't afraid of his own pants - 26

I was the token single person at a party with several of my married friends last month and someone asked me what my worst online dating experience was.  At first I couldn't really think of any (other than the one that prompted the question in the first place, which will get its own post), but the following day all the suppressed memories came rushing back like your standard cliche rushing water metaphor.  The more I thought about it, the more it seemed blog worthy. 

From now on I am going to document my online dating experiences here for your reading/my venting pleasure.  I can't recount all of my past bad dates, but I can give you a top 5 list:

My Top 5 Bad Dates 2008-2010

1.  The guy who had OCD so bad he couldn't touch his own pants.
2.  The guy who asked me to kiss him 20 minutes into the date, then argued with me the rest of the date because I wouldn't kiss him, telling me I was a prude.
3.  The guy who spooned his guy friend and thought it was normal.
4.  The guy who took me out to dinner, then told me he didn't have any money and asked if I could pay.
5.  The guy who asked me if he could tell his mother about me.

They say girls are crazy, and I'm pretty sure "they" are delusional men.  In my experience guys aren't exactly a walk in the park either.  Or whatever that saying is.

So, why do I still torture myself with online dating?  I've sworn it off many times, yet I still keep going back to it.  I have a glimmer of hope that my reason is that there's still a glimmer of hope.  But I'm probably just bored.  I like to tell stories.  I like being the class clown.  Who knows?  I doubt I'll ever meet anyone for a "LTR" on any of these sites, but for the moment it's keeping me busy.

Which leads me to sites.  I have tried everything from craigslist (Philip Markoff gave good email, but he wanted me to eat his gun for dinner) to eharmony (where not even one guy talked to me!) and everything in between.  I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people use multiple sites so rather than repeatedly being matched with the same people on different sites, I have whittled down my site usage to one - match.com.  That's not entirely true, since I just made a new profile on a new site in an attempt to prove this theory.  Proved it!  The profile will come down as soon as I'm done conducting a few more experiments.

In the interest of full disclosure I'd like to post parts of my match profile for you to see, but apparently I don't have permission to use the images from my own page.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment